Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Lola's Secret, Lola's Pain

Before english class last Tuesday, I never knew about the "Comfort Women".  Professor Jennifer Derilo, an instructor at SWCC, shared and discussed an excerpt from Lola's House: Women Living With War.  It is a vivid clarification of a time in history where acts of horrific violence took its toll on the innocent.  After the reading, I could not help but to feel a sense of injustice... hate, even.  Why?  My mother wasn't one of these comfort women... or was she?  Impossible.  According to her, she was never near japanese occupied territories.  But still...  I'm sure Professor Derilo's intent was not to light or rekindle a hate for the japanese empire, but it did.  Besides, weren't these the same soldiers that drove Filipino and American soldiers in the Bataan Death March?  Weren't these the same men that starved my lolo to death?  Am I wrong to feel this way?  If you were me, would you feel this way?

1 comment:

  1. As I read this and your other entries, I can't help but see how in certain ways Nadal's ideas about identity development seem to apply to what you've been experiencing in class. Trippy how our intellectual journey can affect our sense of self, our emotional lives, and our sense of where we belong. Your entries make it clear that education can be directly related to our own lives.

    ReplyDelete